I work with families across a range of areas, including settling and sleep techniques, establishing a good routine, discipline in the home, transition from cot to bed, potty training, safe co-sleeping, and identifying signs of postpartum depression. I want parents to know that they don’t have to feel like they’re struggling through the journey on their own, and can get help from a trained professional.
My passion for empowering parents with positive, proactive and gentle sleep techniques first became obvious to me after being involved in a paediatric ward for six months. Seeing tired, exhausted and desperate parents with no-one to turn to for support led me to fulfil a dream – to guide mothers, fathers and families through times of crisis.
After years of research, study and personal experience to become a certified gentle sleep coach I feel qualified and confident to find an individualised in-house solution to guide and support your sleepless nights as well as your babies feeding and associated difficulties.
As a mother of two, I very well know the feelings of agony and desperation when you have a child that struggles to settle and sleep. I don’t believe in leaving babies or children to cry it out (CIO), nor in the practices of controlled crying.
In the familiar comforts of your home, we will use gentle sleep techniques that reassure your child that you’re there with them. By following their sleep plan your child will learn to calmly go to sleep (and go back to asleep) without needing to be rocked, patted, bounced, driven or fed.
Every child is different, and has his/her own sleep needs. Together we’ll design a sleep program that puts the right sleep guidelines in place for your child. I will then coach and support you every step of the way.
Please get in touch. I look forward to talking about how we can help your baby or child learn to go to sleep calmly, happliy and independently.
I completed The Gentle Sleep Coach Program, the first and most extensive professional sleep coaching certification program available. The program involves over 80 hours of training, an exam and participation in case supervision with Kim West, LCSW-C (a.k.a. “the Sleep Lady”) who has been helping tired parents for over 17 years. Clinical supervision and ongoing advanced training are required to maintain certification as a Gentle Sleep Coach. Some of my training topics included:
- Basic counselling and child development
- Sleep science and behavioural modification techniques
- Secure attachment theory
- Support for the breastfeeding mother
The training also consisted of lectures from top specialists, including:
- Postpartum Depression from Dr Shoshana Bennett, author and leading specialist on Postpartum Depression
- Medical Conditions and Sleep Apnea in Children led by Dr Lewis Kass, Director of Children’s Sleep Center
- Sensory Processing Disorders and Sleep by Jodi Jennings, OTLR
I also completed an exclusive advanced training series directly centered around how to gently work with babies 4 and 5 months of age. This program consists of over 40 hours of instruction and mentorship. Some of the curriculum training topics include:
- In depth knowledge of the delicate nature of infants under 6 months of age and how to consider all elements of their well-being.
- Current evidence based guidelines and instruction on how to evaluate the 4-6 month old child and family and determine if the child is ready for sleep coaching.
- Gentle sleep solutions and strategies that are effective and developmentally appropriate for the younger baby.
Cheryl is also the resident sleep coach for Shalom Baby, giving talks and helping mums with the right tools and techniques for baby settling and sleep.